Thursday, January 21, 2010

Rites Of Passage

Now, I need to type this now before my typing gets all wine-enhanced and unreliable. It would be unrealistic to say I missed out on everything people tend to take for granted in adolescence and early adulthood, and especially from my position of comfortable middle age, but I imagine there are things like a first pint or a first bra and stuff like that that some people see as landmarks. Everyone has different standards and expectations, I'm sure, but I expect it's not so hard to relate to the idea of doing something for the first time and it meaning something. In the modern world where everything is under CCTV surveillance, I'm absolutely paranoid about leaving the house or indeed being out in public anywhere in a dress. But there are ways of dealing with this, by picking the timing carefully, and of course dependent on the season and the conditions. So a rainy early evening rush hour, a late shop opening thursday evening and somehow as if by magic, I found myself on a main city centre street I've walked thousands of times. But I'd never have dreamed I'd walk it in heels, though being able to hide my face under an umbrella works wonders for a nervous girl's confidence. And rather than turn back and go home, it was that much easier to keep on going to where I'd planned to head. So now I can legitimately say that in seasonally sensible knee high boots, a borderline smart skirt and a weather appropriate short mac, I bought myself another pair of very pretty shoes in the same model I bought before xmas just in a different colour. And then, and for the first time in decades of never imagining I'd ever be in the right place and have the right attitude at the same time, I sat down in front of a very well lit mirror and had someone work on my make up, to match a shade against my skin tone and offer me the benefit of her wisdom. So yeah, I've spent a few quid today on make up and shoes, but you couldn't buy how good it feels to have bought them as my marginally more glamorous self. And getting flattering compliments on my choice of lipstick, and of another brand to the shop I was in no less, was an unexpected bonus. Ninety minutes after starting typing and only four glasses in, this appears to still be vaguely literate. Don't believe it!

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_