Thursday, October 01, 2009

At The End Of The Tour

Keeping up my consecutive calendar month gig record was looking doubtful till I made a late decision to head up the M5 to one of my favourite venues, JB's at Dudley. No rush to be on time, but some incentive to make sure my ticket for collection on the door was actually there, and it was. So, what do you expect from an event called Metalfest? Right. I came in while Warpath were on stage, and saw their last couple of songs: I imagine that's what watching Metallica looked like in 1983, but from a position that might turn into some surprise by the time they'd turned into the metal U2. Sure they know what they are doing and good luck to them, but it's not really my style. Not really [someone's] style is also a good fit for Touchstone. I saw them a bit over a year ago, and wasn't quite convinced, and having had greater familiarity with a couple of their myspace tracks in the meantime, I'm still not. I'm not sure if it was the shoes that made singer Kim look more Jessica Rabbit-in-the-Headlights than composed and self-possessed. I wanted to give them another chance, and I like the sound, but maybe I just don't like watching them on stage. Curiously unsatisfying. Next up were Eastern Front. When you've gone to the trouble of setting up a big visual impact to your onstage moments, it sort of blows the fun when you've got band members turning round to shout at the venue lights/sound staff when you are waiting to get going. Now, the visual impact was one thing, but when they start making a noise as well it's nothing if not memorable. I'm still not sure it isn't some kind of abstract art prank by Jaz Coleman to make fun of just what rubbish you'd have got if Venom had seen more of King Diamond and Slayer before they really got started, mind. Full credit for the onstage spotlights to catch the white facepainted faces against the black jumpsuits in the dark. Full credit for the Kerry King wrist spikes and the barbed wire hanging off your mike stand. Well worth seeing once, purely for the mindwarp experience, but utterly unlistenable. Headliners the Blaze Bayley band never disappoint, and this is part celebration, part the end of the touring for the Man Who Would Not Die album, as they go immediately into the studio to start work on the next album. I have to say I wouldn't know Lord Of The Flies from Lord Of The Dance, and as far as I'm concerned, well it's like your first girlfriend goes off, has a kid with someone else and in due course you all get over it but even if you and the ex eventually get on very well you're always going to see something else when you look at that kid. In which case, though I know Blaze isn't going to drop the Maiden stuff and there's no reason why he should just to suit me, I am looking forward to another new album and more new tracks. Which is the important thing. Blaze Bayley 4/5 version in full flight. Dave always gives really good hair onstage.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_