Thursday, November 06, 2008

Tuesday Night Lights*

Anyone who sees my facebook updates would see that a while back I "love surprise support bands" - I ended up not posting anything about seeing Camera Obscura again because I figured I'd said everything I had to say about them back in July. What I was really excited about though was finding out a couple of days beforehand was that they were being supported by Glasgow's fabulous Attic Lights. Having bought the album on the monday, and had a number of singles and other tracks before that, I was pretty clear on what I was expecting but they blew me away with their harmony vocal goodness. At that point I had already paid out for another ticket on the basis they were the first supporting band, so I was pleased to get the chance to see them a second time. Logistical/organisational complications on the venue's part meant that my ticket didn't turn up in the post, which prevented me going in my rather more glamorous guise, but for the record I was absolutely spot on that it was the perfect gig for that. Or would have been. I walked in and was stood in front of the stage for less than sixty seconds when Attic Lights walked out on to the stage. Kev's voice sounded a little rough to start with, but they dropped into the well oiled machine routine quickly enough, and Send Your Dark Eyes This Way and Walkie Talkie in particular sounded fantastic. Next up was former Catatonia frontwoman Cerys Matthews. I saw Catatonia once, and they were great, but Cerys' history when they split up was somewhat troubled. These days she looks fabulously happy and healthy, and I have half a feeling she is headed for the same sort of National Treasure status as Joanna Lumley or Marianne Faithfull. We get a stripped back version of Love Me Tender, Catatonia's Strange Glue is the only other thing I really know, but there are a couple of other things that are familiar, and more than anything I'm pleased to see she looks like she is having a good time, and is at a point in her life where everything seems to be working out. Headliner Paul Heaton is someone I saw a couple of times with the Beautiful South, and I really liked them even if I still don't think he's ever bettered The Housemartins' Build. The three piece bass/guitar/drums outfit backing him hits more of a mod-soul vibe, something like if Weller had had The Jam playing the Style Council material, though of course Heaton's voice remains distinctive as ever. It's all pleasant enough. but not the highlight gig of the year for me, and I'm left to go home wishing I'd had the ticket in time to see how well the pink jeans work with the new cardigan, and especially pleased to have seen the harmony pop loveliness of Attic Lights again. * Friday Night Lights is the title of the Attic Lights album, and it's great!

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
You're always out, lucky you having so many things you want to go to. One of the expat forums I 'follow' (for want of a better word) have members who are overjoyed because Ken Dodd might be doing a show in Brittany. I thought he was dead - we shan't be going needless to say.
 
Ha! It takes a lot of work to be this busy, and a lot of half-plans that get juggled around to prioritise between certainties, possibilities and outside chances to cover as much as possible. The high density of stuff getting scheduled between October and December means I have a busy few weeks ahead of me.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
_