Thursday, September 25, 2008

Rescue Me!

Posting in anger is posssibly not always the best idea, but it is the most honest! Before heading out, I'd re-read what I wrote when I saw Y&T just under a year ago: it still rang true, and I was looking forward to celebrating my 600th gig with something special. Support band Glyder come from Ireland, have two guitar players, and a bass playing lead singer. What do you expect them to sound like already? Given there's a picture of them with Philomena Lynott on their website, are you feeling confident about that? You should. I'm in two minds, having listened to what they've got on myspace. Weather The Storm is fantastic, and it sounds a lot like The Sun Goes Down. Pretty Useless People is twin lead boogie out of exactly the same mould as Black Rose. In person the lead singer comes over rather more like what you'd get if you put a hefty proportion of Lynott's voice into Alan Lancaster's body, but there's a bit more to it than that. On balance, I need to listen to more of their stuff, and I expect I will, but I can say I'm hoping to like them. Despite the fact no support band ever needs to waste five minutes of their set with drum solo, no matter how skilled the drummer. One of the great things about watching Y&T is how much every one of them looks like someone having a good time on stage. Dave Meniketti remains a genius guitar player, half the unfamiliar songs (Keep On Believing and Don't Wanna Lose You especially) are still easy to sing along with on first hearing, and a very hot room produces the sort of sweating this summer has sorely lacked. Mean Streak is fantastic, Midnight In Tokyo rumbles along like a rock leviathan, Summertime Girls is equal parts cheesy pop and guitar anthem, and I think I was getting a few decent results out of the camera. Earlier on, Y&T's set was introduced by Kim Hooker, and with the night ticking on, there was plenty enough fooling around between the songs already without it being excessive. Dave called Kim back up to the stage, and over the course of an awful lot of 'I'm gonna tell you something' and Dave talking about what fun they'd had with Tigertailz opening for them last year, we ended up wasting long enough to do a couple more songs before eventually getting the assembled Tigertailz racing their way through a shambolic though eventually entertaining version of Ace Of Spades. The variety of voices suggesting they might want to stop messing about and get on with doing something, anything, before they finally started Ace Of Spades is a reasonable guide to how much what should have been a corking gig was heading towards feeling like intruding on a private party, and with that in mind I stayed for Rescue Me and then walked out. I'm not in the habit of leaving gigs early - I count four, possibly five in six hundred, and I'm still a big fan of Meniketti's songwriting, singing and guitar playing. But I might think a bit harder about exactly where I choose to see them next time around.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_