Friday, August 22, 2008

End Of An Era

Unexciting though it may be for those people who are following the link back here from The School's myspace page (and thanks, it's nice to be quoted), I've just spent more than an hour in my old car. Which tomorrow will make its final journey in my care, on its way to the scrapyard. At a couple of months shy of twenty years old, and with more than 110,000 miles on the clock, it's done its fair share of work over its lifetime, and especially in my charge, which makes for well over a third of those miles. There's a tiny part of me that's aware that the departure of a car my late father once drove is the end of one of the few remaining things that still link us, but that's no good reason to keep a vehicle on the road that is a very long way past its best, and pretty much past its serviceable too. Nevertheless, time moves on, and with a little bit of help from the bank, tomorrow I shall also be heading home in my new car, which is barely half the age of the one that's going. I happily subscribe to the view that it's only a car, but after a couple of years of every time I leave the car being punctuated by removing the right fuse to make sure the battery doesn't get flattened in my absence, moving on to something a tiny bit more modern certainly has its appeal. The nature of life is change, and this is just another step, but it's the sort of change that doesn't come along very often. And for that alone, it's vaguely worth mentioning.
Comments:
It's always sad and exciting getting rid of one and getting another.

How have you been? It's been a while

Julie
 
I've been great, thanks. Plenty enough fun and games to keep me busy without working me too hard!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
_