Sunday, June 22, 2008

Another Pleasant Day In The Countryside*

After some giving it serious consideration last time I saw them, and after a more recent abortive trip to another gig in roughly the same place, Crowded House in the outdoors seemed like a fine opportunity to get properly dressed up for a saturday night out. I had been planning to wear my new white jeans, but with the recent weather's unseasonal performance, I was holding off buying the wedges and anything else I'd need to go with them until the last minute. Which was just as well, as this longest day was blessed with the sort of showers that make April and November look like desert months. And so it was I ended up with the dark blue jeans and the knee high boots rather than the white jeans. I'm happy aiming for ever so slightly over-dressed, that suits me, and the conditions required my brand new mac-style jacket and my even newer big grey handbag. With several fields full of cars and people everywhere in all kinds of rainwear, the waterproof cape was pressed into action, and I made it inside the arena to catch the last couple of songs by The Delays, having been listening to them and watching them over the fence on my way in. They seemed entertaining enough, good bouncy, poppy fun and lively enough to make the rain seem less oppressive. From my distant vantage point on my new camping chair, I got a decent view of the light show, even if the darkness didn't descend upon us until very late on in the set. I was not absolutely surprised, having seen pictures from previous gigs there, when Neil announced that capacity is 5,000 - a lot of people for me to hide among. There were a number of new songs, some of the familiar banter, and the weather just about held off until they finished. I thought about making an early break for the car, but ended up staying longer - having previously mentioned the way the situation lends itself to paranoia, you may imagine my state of mind when I realised two of Her Majesty's finest were stood behind and to either side of me. At that sort of event, stewards, security personnel, the police and all manner of hi-vis jacketed authority figures abound, though until that point I'd only been aware of them circulating around the arena. I guessed I may as well stay till the end of the encore whether or not they had any intention towards me, and picked up my handbag and chair with some trepidation. The fact I'm home already tells you nothing actually happened, and that they had simply picked that spot to watch the last few songs, but it was with some relief I headed to the car. With 5,000 people to clear the site, you may imagine there are other priorities than harassing someone who is doing no particular harm. Taking fifty minutes to move half a mile to get out of the car park was no fun, especially with the rain coming down very heavily and impatient people jumping around and even pushing the sides of my car. I should say that as well as my fine choice of new jacket and handbag, Diorshow is fabulous mascara for a more dramatic effect. And that I had a fabulous time. * is the first line of the Crowded House song Don't Stop Now

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_