Thursday, May 29, 2008

Battling The Bottle*

Be careful what you wish for... I've had an eye on the weather of late, hoping today wouldn't be such a fine weather day that anything more than a floaty summer skirt and strappy sandals is overkill, and with the week we've had so far I wasn't expecting to be disappointed. Getting a certain distance away from home remains important, and the late hours of daylight don't help with that, but not leaving work early as originally intended put a further delay into things. All the same, the new asos top, the skinny jeans from Next and the boots I've had for years combined with the proceeds of last week's trip to MAC to make a look I was perfectly happy with, and which seemed appropriate to the occasion. Now, this gig was one where I missed out last time they were over this way, a bit closer to home in fact, due to buying other tickets for things that subsequently got cancelled, by which time they'd sold out and it was too late to do anything about it. The refund on one of those other tickets paid for tonight's ticket, and sure enough there have been a couple of other things this last week I might have preferred to see instead, so it's truthful to say this wasn't something I'd been impatiently looking forward to for ages and perhaps more an obligation to be met. So, late leaving, roadworks on the motorway, and then it got really good fun. I hadn't intended things to get this far, but the kind of torrential rain that's produced reports of floods on national news further slowed me down. I've mentioned before that sometimes driving is a bit more stressful, and it's simply not the case that I have any trouble driving in heels, but I'm sure aquaplaning to the left and then to the right had me sweating enough to start shifting my make up! By the time I got to the ring road of the small town I was heading for, I was already expecting to have missed the support band and the start of the headline act's set. What I wasn't counting on was the unfathomable one way system and the helpfully shifted no entry signs. Knowing I was already well behind schedule, I took a spin round the blokc a couple of times, thought 'sod it' and headed for home. Of course, having a bit more time to play with I tried a more creative piece of navigation, using an alternative route I have not used in ages. Which was my next mistake. There's an extra dose of paranoia that comes with spotting the mix of fluorescent yellow and dark blue squares on the side of a car stopped in a layby, and when one of those pulls out to follow me up the road you can add a zero on the end! Obviously they have a job to do, and on a quiet road like that late at night it will be no surprise that they pay attention even to my sedate driving style, just for something to do. In any case, no major drama as I didn't get pulled over, no major disaster for missing the gig, and a lesson or two learned. and half a bottle of wine improving my typing no end, so if you spot any typos you know they came from the vineyard and not directly from me. Which brings me back to what I was going to say, that next time I may remember to take a small amount of alcohol that makes driving off not a good idea once I've parked. If I can get parked in the first place! * Battling The Bottle is a song from Jim Bob's fine Humpty Dumpty Thing album

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_