Thursday, February 07, 2008

Some Tighten The Belt, Others Let Go

Since virtually all my post titles are robbed from some song or other, I thought it was about time I started referencing what I was robbing from where. This one's from Only The Thunder on The Alarm's second album, Strength, from 1986. The food diary went by the board pretty quickly, but it was enough to start me thinking more about what I eat where and when, so one thing I have tried to change is from eating late in the evening to having a slightly more regular routine of eating closer to when I get home from work. My reduced willingness to leave my desk at lunchtimes due to the unfathomable stupidity of the people who 'run' the building I work in has had a couple of effects. Firstly it makes it easier to go to the vending machine and buy chocolate, which isn't so good. But I've also been getting better at bringing more food-based food (as opposed to sugar-based food) to work with me. The staying at my desk and also not having so many reasons for stupid driving around the country of late means that I've done fewer lunchtime laps of the record shops, and had a slightly lesser hydrocarbon footprint. When it looked like my car was about to have a problem, I put a little money aside for that, and now it's failed to go wrong after all, that has been transferred to the part of the budget that has today brought me the camera I really wanted on the last day it was at a reduced sale price. You can see the first interesting thing it has produced on flickr, but it's something I've had my eye on for months, and having finally come down to a price I was prepared to pay, all is well. And besides, I figure it's a good thing for the right combination of reward and guilt trip for my other recent positive effort in affairs of the waistline: last monday with the start of the food diary, and again this monday, I've been running again. The first go was less successful, and the steep downhill bit had after-effects lasting for a couple of days. This time I reversed the direction, and running uphill meant I could concentrate on good fitness work rather than recovery. One step at a time, mind. My cyclist thighs are already well established enough that I don't need to put any more muscle on them or I'll never get my trousers over them!

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_