Monday, January 28, 2008

Measure For Measure

After a December of self-indulgence it's been a January of making up for it, mostly by doing very little. There's usually not much goes on in January anyway, and it's a month I associate with various things of notgreatness, so a lot of time at home has seen me gradually making a dent in some of the jobs around the house I've been putting off. There's lesser quantities of leaves and nettles in the car park, less stuff waiting to be recycled (and thrown away) and I even have a gleamingly clean fridge with a freshly defrosted freezer compartment.

Among all these debauched excesses, I've found another set of data that I need to track. In addition to my domestic housekeeping, my current computer file housekeeping exercise is giving me plenty to do, but one of the drawbacks of being at home more than usual is a greater proximity to my kitchen than usual, as well as the wine belly that's gradually appearing courtesy of the vineyards of Australia.

It would be easy to blame being a '70s kid raised on e numbers and chemicals, and it would be truthful to say that my relationship with food is one more based on momentary reward than sensible, healthy fuelling, but whatever the cause, the ultimate effect is that yesterday I had a rather wobbly hypoglycemia moment in Tesco. And although I don't have diabetes, I definitely do have a diet that means that I could have it without trying much harder. I recognise the symptoms, and I know how to deal with them, but I'd be much better off not having them in the first place. With this in mind, today is the first day of keeping a food diary (read 'refined sugars diary') so that if nothing else I end up with a clear picture of what my diet actually consists of.
 
One thing's for sure - it ain't pretty.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_