Friday, January 04, 2008

The Man's A Fool

And on that anniversary note, another time and place I don't have to think about to remember is exactly where I was on 4th January 1986, the day Phil Lynott died. Although that's been mentioned on here before, it was in the days before youtube became such an all-encompassing thing, and I've just spent some time going through some stuff on there, a lot of which I've never seen before. Old Town - I've also crossed the Liffey on possibly that footbridge, but I like this in particular as it's off one of the solo albums and it seems a bit more honest and a bit less trying too hard to be a big tough cartoon rock star. That business with a trumpet he can't play is not someone demanding to be taken seriously! The Man's A Fool - much as I prefer the album version, this is great, especially to see Sykes and Wakeman (yes, that one!) really going for it. Please Don't Leave Me - Sykes' solo single, sung by Phil and effectively recorded by Thin Lizzy minus Scott Gorham. This is a mimed for telly version, but it's the best sounding version I can find on youtube, and it's one of my very favourite songs. It'll tell you plenty about my highly unfashionable taste in guitar solos too!

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_