Tuesday, December 11, 2007

No Cover Up, No Need For Hiding

From most of two thousand people listening and two thousand empty seats to a packed, sold out venue holding two hundred at the most in a matter of days. Then again, yesterday was Wembley so Duke Special (yep, them again!) must know their way around a variety of venues by now. And as I hoped, it also turned out to be a great opportunity to break Trinny and Susannah's preference for not combining black and colour, finally taking the jeans out though the weather meant that tights and boots was a far better plan than the shoes, even if they do go better. However, even the best laid plans, and so on... The previous night's gig saw me turning up fifteen minutes after doors, and still missing some of the first set. Tonight I made it for doors plus nearly an hour, to find that the venue still wasn't open, and that I had another hour and a half before DS were due on stage. In the circumstances, it has been known for me to not hang around - the walk round to this venue isn't a long one, but it's not without a little stress in the walking. After way too long spent aiming for Britney dressed as Whitney, it's probably true that I was marginally over-dressed, but it's a tricky thing to make work in these conditions, to be warm enough outside without melting inside. Lucky my improvised shawl/wrap made out of splitting a seam on last year's poncho was just the job. After killing some time listening to the radio in the car and giving my nails a second coat, I went back round in plenty of time to get the predictable reaction on the door, and at the bar. Nothing happened, the world didn't end. Lurking in the dark was comfortable enough, and eventually Pete came on to a rapturous reception. Only one of the first eight or so songs was included in the Crowded House set, and for all the delay and technical difficulties causing it, when we finally got going it was superb. Last gig I went to that got this delayed was in the same city, and produced the sort of debacle that means I'm not prepared to see that particular artist again, so I was wary how this might turn out. Again, I needn't have worried. For the next two hours we got what sometimes follows technical difficulties, and what comes at the end of a tour - more great songs than you could shake a whisk at, and a cosy atmosphere of celebration and enjoyment. Of course I had an extra angle for my own personal enjoyment of the night out, and by this point my typing skills are deserting me so I'll leave it at saying that this sort of venue is a great place to see Duke Special, though the chance is now gone while they are off the road for a bit, hopefully working on a new album. Particular highlights were the version of Chaka Khan's I Feel For You and the boys and girls split crowd work on I'm Gonna Love You Till You Love Me Back. Having now seen DS five times in the last fifteen months, there's no doubt I'll still be waiting for them when they come back.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_