Saturday, December 01, 2007

Life Of Surprises

I have a passing familiarity with the name since the start of the 90s and Sean Worrall's Organ fanzine, but apart from one support slot in 1995 somehow I've never been in the right place to see any more of Tim Smith's Cardiacs. To tell the truth, I only decided to go this time to see the support band featuring Tamworth's finest guitarist, Jase Edwards, and by a combination of idleness and not getting on with it I missed them anyway. Tim Smith looks a little like an older version of Randy from My Name Is Earl, but he cuts a fine figure as a frontman who knows his audience as well as he knows his craft. Musically you could say it echos the technical intricacy of some of Zappa's stuff, though there's a hint of Half Man Half Biscuit in places too, but it's all served up with a healthy side order of cheery lunacy, challenging the unfamiliar listener to try to make sense of something that very much has its own particular vibe. This is a good thing, though ninety minutes was just a tiny bit more than I needed. Turning to leave the venue, who should I find standing behind me but Jase. So we chatted for a couple of minutes about the Tamworth show and the forthcoming ones, and I left reminded that not leaving before the end sometimes comes with its own rewards. Nice.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_