Tuesday, September 11, 2007

That Girl, Those Guys

And here we go again. With more reformation activity than the sixteenth century currently in the air, there's a freaky inevitability that having just got one out of the way, something else would pop up sooner or later. So there I was checking for info on the Tyketto reunion shows that I'd known for months were supposed to be in the offing this autumn, and blow me if they aren't second on the bill below this proud headline:
FM (First live show in 12 years! Steve Overland - Merv Goldsworthy - Pete Jupp - Andy Barnet - Jem Davis)
Now, it's an arm and a leg job, not exactly local, and I'm supposed to be somewhere else that day anyway. I'm reluctant to pay that price for getting there late and only seeing two bands, even if it's these two that are the only reason I'd be going, but all the same, That Girl is in the unremovable folder of stuff on my mp3 player for good reason, and I have no idea at this point how I can possibly knowingly miss that show. In between turning into a tenth rate version of the splendid Dave Ling's diary, I'm aware that this is also gradually coming to resemble an extended obituary feature, which I guess is as much a consequence of growing older in the information age as it is anything else. All the same, Anita Roddick's passing at 64 is less notable for me from an environmental perspective than from a very personal one: the first item of cosmetics I ever bought was a lipstick from a branch of The Body Shop just down the road from Victoria, in a first step marginally less momentous than first seeing Wolfsbane, but significantly more difficult. And without either I wouldn't be the person I am today.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_