Friday, September 14, 2007

Painting Huge Books And Gluing Them Together

And so the calendar goes round again. I'm not sure I can put my finger on this year having anything in particular to mark it, though I continue to surprise myself in just how much my father is on my mind since he died. I guess that's only natural, but I certainly never expected I'd be quite so affected. It's not a case of regret, or missing, or of feeling sad, just a general sort of increased presence in my consciousness. It's true I've been back to some interesting places, seen some great gigs and the odd stinker, seen some less successful football and the odd great game (or moment, at least!) but I guess what marks this year is gradually increasing domestic stability. Compared to a lot of people in a lot of countries, and plenty enough in this, I have a very privileged life and I'm exceptionally blessed. Sure, it's always possible to want more, or better, or different in some way, but that's just tinkering round the edges. What I've got is worth hanging on to, and I intend to - what's another year?
Comments:
Sorry to hear about your dad. Even if one is not close to a parent, it's still a strange feeling when one of them dies.
 
I think as much as anything it's the fact that that story has a definite end makes it possible to contemplate in a way that's a little more comfortable than something that might yet go in any one of a number of ways.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
_