Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Edge Of The Blade

Possibly not entirely unexpected, but all the same I'm rather
surprised to find Jeff Scott Soto has been fired from Journey.

I wasn't impressed by him or the Soul SirkUS show at all, but over two
nights fronting Journey I was more than convinced of what a great job
he was doing, and how his arrival looked like a shot in the arm for
the band.

I was absolutely thrilled when I got to see Neal Schon playing with
Hardline in the early 90s, and double thrilled to see the Augeri
version of Journey on British soil at last, but JSS had me convinced
that he was the man to take the job on properly. I love Schon's guitar
playing, but I've a feeling this is a step too far even for my loving
the band faithfully.

One of the joys of the modern internet age is the scope for
speculation and rumour to spread like wildfire, and other than the
remarkably limp official announcement I have no stone cold facts to go
on, but it seems to me that to whatever degree each has been
individually involved in the decision and communication of that
decision, it looks from here like JSS has been treated rather badly by
Schon, Cain, Valory and Castronovo and their representatives and
advisers.

Possibly the most telling moment for me that JSS is one of the good
guys is when he came out to join Danny Vaughn and Tony Marshall for a
quick charge through Boston's "Rock N Roll Band" the night after Brad
Delp died, and for no other reason than because he could, and thought
it was worth doing. And I agree it was.

Cheers Jeff, and good luck!

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_