Monday, May 21, 2007

My Week End(s)

Five gigs in eight nights, of which a couple went on very late, several hundred miles of driving and some decent exercise means that this is a quiet night in, with the restorative diet of champions that is gin and pizza. I'll try to get caught up with the last three gigs, all of which were excellent in a variety of different ways, and the other stuff that's been occupying me in the next couple of days. In the meantime though, you can fill in some of the gaps for yourself on flickr. There are a bunch of cycling and bad weather pictures there which are about a week old - these are the best of my brief experience accompanying someone riding all the way from the far SW of the country's mainland to it's very northernmost settlement. We both got utterly drenched, but at least I got to go home and go back to work the next day. After I left him and returned to my car to get home again, I correctly followed what I'd spotted on the map as the closest but less busy direct route. What I'd failed to appreciate was that I would be gaining the better part of 250m vertically over the first couple of miles. There's nothing like looking up the road and seeing a couple of hairpins to clarify that sort of hilliness! I wasn't looking forward to driving back in the rush hour traffic but it was lighter than it might have been. I'd had to make my journey back at the point I did because, perhaps inevitably, I had a gig to get to, and once again one where it was the first act I especially wanted to see. I made it with ten minutes to spare, so it's a good job I wasn't any slower on my bike. I saw The Hussy's (their apostrophe, not mine) a little while ago, and it was them being on the bill that had me convinced about going. Fili has a cracking voice, the whole band has a cracking bunch of tunes, and being more familiar with the songs they were even better than last time. It's a thing of great joy to see a band really having fun on stage, and this bunch certainly do. If you like uptempo rousing pop music with a little bit of bite, they have something for you. Satisfied with that, I was half planning to stay for just the start of the Levellers' set but ended up happily staying for the lot as they were on great form. And they did The Charlie Daniels Band's 'The Devil Went Down To Georgia' which is always great fun. One day down, though I've done nothing with my Hussy's pictures yet, two to go.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_