Sunday, April 15, 2007

Springtide

Yesterday was a great day, starting with a very pleasant drive through the countryside with the distinctive scent of oilseed rape wafting into the car from the bright yellow fields. It's also at this time of year I become aware that I'll shortly get a break from that particular journey for a couple of months - which is a great chance to save on the petrol money, the time and the stress my football team conspires to offer me at regular intervals! I also got to catch up on the story of what I missed. As is probably inevitable in this sort of situation, there were a few bits of information that had come up over the course of events that shed a bit more light on the bigger picture - for example I'd always known my father was engaged to someone else when he met my mother, but it turns out to have happened in a slightly different way to what I naturally imagined. And although it was news to me, I wasn't entirely surprised to find out for the first time that my father was born a couple of months premature. Placed in its wartime context, it's hardly likely that he got the full benefit of the recommended five portions of fruit and veg a day, and it doesn't take a genius to suggest some sort of link between an early development limited by circumstances and various ensuing medical difficulties. I'm pleased to hear he had a decent service and so on. The slight turn in the weather means today is the first day this year that my legs have seen daylight, and a relatively easy 26 miles on the bike makes for a small start in the summer's fitness efforts. Of course the subsequent calorie-laden intake more than makes up for it, but you know, you've got to start somewhere!
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_