Sunday, March 04, 2007

If Today Should Let Me Down I Can Wait Until Tomorrow

Well, that was quite some day. Up early to race off and get my car serviced, going a bit out of my way to place an order for somethingI'm unable to locate close to home. Did some work to fix (or at least improve the performance of) two different computers at the garage while my car was worked on. Then it was off to the football for the first return visit of our former manager and a couple of our former players, which is usually a recipe for disaster. Given our current perilous position in the league table, it was especially pleasing then to see two fantastic goals see off our visitors and lift us out of the relegation zone for a bit. Racing back to collect the now serviced car, I still had to go and visit someone else and explain aload of stuff and make plans for dealing with it before getting back on the road back home. My inital plan had been to stay there, which would have cut down on my petrol expenditure and driving hours, but that plan was discarded at a late stage once I found out The Frank & Walters were in town. There's something slightly nervy about gigs in unfamiliar venues, especially when a walk past the outside a couple of days ago showed no signs of posters or other confirmation the gig was actually on. And there being no pre-sale tickets available either meant that I at least stood a theoretical chance of racing all the way back and not making the gig. As it was I walked in nearly 90 minutes after doors opened, to see a small stage set up for a three piece band, and a handful of posters on the walls confirming the gig - a bit late, but there you go. I had a nice restful hour or so being reminded of the whole business of conventional going out, surrounded by people who'd put a lot of effort into how they looked, and this time with the sure and certain knowledge that at least some of these were bothy young enough to be my children and old enough to be drinking legally, which is a mildly sobering realisation! We had nearly an hour of the Franks, a satisfying mix of old and new material, including a total of four goes at We Are The Frank & Walters, the last of these an encore version without bass as Paul had disappeared into the crowd and with guest vocals by someone celebrating his birthday! It's been a while since I saw such a cracking corner of a crowded pub gig, and indeed since I turned up sufficiently early (despite my paranoia) to be inside before entry was being charged on the door. And then I came home to find a magnificent view of the lunar eclipse just after coming out of totality, and a request on flickr to use one of my pictures for some artitstic purpose. Busy days really don't get a lot better than this.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_