Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The 90s Revival

Not the first charity memorial gig I've ever been to, but certainly the most memorable and personal. In some ways it was a retrospective of my adult life, these bands and some of these people have travelled a fair number of similar journeys with me over the years - I'm just looking up how long ago our respective paths crossed, see below. Hours on the motorway in torrential rain was no fun, but you know, it was entirely fitting that the rain fell like bullets from a gun, and despite the delay I had not used up all of the margin for error time I had allowed. Seeing a car off the side of the motorway and on its side was enough grounds for caution and I was on the same tube as Steve Lamacq so my timing was spot on with the professionals! In order of appearance then. Midway Still I have no memories of whatsoever, beyond a passing familiarity with the name. But that's one of the great things about this sort of multi-act greatest bits show, there's only four tracks to stand through before someone else comes along. They sounded good enough, no complaints. Andy Cairns of Therapy? - I've been listening to Troublegum a bit recently, and to get a solo acoustic run through Nowhere, Screamager and Die Laughing was fantastic. The first moment of chills running up my neck was him finishing his set with the Mega City Four's Miles Apart, a song he'd previously played with Wiz and made a mess of. No worries this time, a great set and fitting tribute. First seen by me 1992. Ned's Atomic Dustbin - always give good value, and this is no exception. Pure sweaty fun, and a reminder that next time one of their occasional shows is a practical proposition I really should make the effort. As it turns out to be the same place and on a thursday night, that's not something I'm rushing to commit myself to right now. First seen by me 1989. John Kastner - not listed on the original publicity material, this turned out to be a very special surprise. Sometimes not reading the back of the t-shirt you've just bought is a good thing. Thrashing his way through the Megas' Peripheral with just the accompaniment of his electric guitar was a cracking start, and equally ending with Revolution is a fine way to close, and worth his journey over from the States for the show. Senseless Things - where everyone was expecting Mark Keds to do a solo acoustic set, the first whole performance in many years of the Senseless Things (apart from Morgan) is what we got, and in some style. Lashing into Homophobic Asshole, for my money one of the most important songs of this generation of bands along with Credit To The Nation's Enough Is Enough, this was absolutely fantastic and I was rocking like nobody's business. I don't recall ever seeing them have a great show back in the mists of time, and this time that song alone is enough to make my night. First seen by me 1991. Reuben - a few listens to their Very Fast Very Dangerous album last week meant I had an idea what was coming. And I pretty much got what I expected, it's not something I'll listen to every single day, but I'll definitely make the effort to see them again. And you just know that any band that'll record a song called Every Time A Teenager Listens To Drum And Bass A Rock Star Dies must have the right idea. Jim finishes off nicely by saying that when he goes he hopes he can fill a room with as many people that love him as Wiz has, and I have to say I don't rate my own chances! Carter USM - Well, what can you say? I saw the ever expanding line up of Carter on the final tour, and I don't know quite how many years it's been since they last played as a two-piece plus technology. It was obviously some people's highlight of the night, and sure it was great to see Jim and Les doing their thing together again after so long. First seen by me 1991. Mega City Four (version) - with vocals handled by Chris, Danny, and John Kastner for one song each, and Spider singing all the others (when he wasn't busy drinking water away from the mike), this could have been disjointed karaoke. As it was, the quality of Wiz' songwriting and the musicianship of Danny, Gerry and Chris shone through. From the first bars of Who Cares, I was on my toes and bouncing like a mad thing in a way I haven't done in years. One of my new toys is a watch that tells my heart rate, and in a brief pause after Props it was hitting 160. I wasn't the only one giving it my all, and it was heartening and a worthy celebration to share in someone who wasn't a household name being appreciated in such fine style. The full set ran as follows; Who Cares, Awkward Kid, Props, Finish, Iron Sky, Android Dreams, Peripheral, Messenger, Cradle, Miles Apart. I can't say I knew the man well, though I met and chatted with him on a number of occasions, but Wiz's music spoke to me like nobody else's has ever done. And I'm obviously not alone in that - between us we raised another eleven grand for charity on merchandising sales on the night. I'm never far away from one of Wiz's songs, and there's no danger of him being forgotten in this house. Getting home at 3.30 and getting up four hours later to go to work seems as appropriate a tribute to someone whose band was always on the road as anything else I can come up with. Cheers Wiz, you were definitely of consequence to someone, to many someones.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_