Monday, February 19, 2007

Oh well, jump in, forget about the sharks and swim...

Been there, done that :-) As I was saying, last week I saw Europe again, and while they were excellent last time, this time they weren't quite so great. Not sure that it's that the new album isn't as good as the previous new album, so much as perhaps the effects of getting back into the touring routine. No support band, well fair enough if the sound is excellent - and it was - but impressive as it is to be able to play 73 notes a second on the guitar, I couldn't help thinking the time could be better spent playing another song. And don't get me started on whether the world ever needs another bass solo! Now, I'm typing this over a glass of wine having just got home from seeing the Indigo Girls. In this week's earlier visit to the same venue, I was reminded just how not-dressy a venue it is, so I dug out a pair of my jeans I haven't worn in many years and wore them with my boots rather than a skirt as would have been my preference. But not looking any more out of place than I can help is more important to me than dressing entirely to my own taste. The joke was on me as I had to sit through a support act I've failed to enjoy previously, though a little familiarity meant this time around was more fun. And saying that, I was happy to have the option to hide in the dark at the back. It was several years ago I first (and last) saw the Indigo Girls. I've always been a sucker for harmony vocals, and particularly women's voices doing harmony vocals, possibly because I can't get anywhere near joining in with it. But much more than that, Emily and Amy both give good rock n roll attitude and have the right idea about the world we live in, so it's always going to be a great night out. And for me on this particular occasion doubly so, even if the swapped smirks of the doormen and the odd iffy glance from elsewhere tell their own story. I can live with that, I had a lovely time.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_