Thursday, February 15, 2007

It's How We Move From Here

So, the other night, I went to see a band you've heard of, and one you probably know for one song in particular. Seen them before, they were great then and a little less great this time around. That out of the way, there was a whole other level to the evening. It's a venue I've been to half a dozen times before, and I'll be back there again in the near future, but quite possibly with a difference and this is why I was paying extra attention. This time of year is when the daylight hours start to extend a little outside of office hours, and while it's good news for riding a bike in greater visibility, that's also less good news for a different kind of visibility. Which means there's a little calendar-based pressure to make the most of the season. It occurred to me some time ago that this next show would be a particularly good one for me in my other guise, that is dressed from my other wardrobe. I'd like to think that a show by an act with a long established record of equality campaigning and a personal interest in alternative areas of sexuality ought to be a more suitably sympathetic and tolerant environment for me to go out than, for example, a football match. This plan may explain me paying closer attention than normal to what cameras are where, and why I may be being even vaguer than usual here. I'm generally not good with surprises, and it takes a certain amount of familiarity with places and people for me to feel comfortable - this applies to all aspects, not just the TV business. Having the opportunity to check things out and confirm no drastic changes since the last time I was there, knowing where I'm going to park in a city far enough away that I'm not going to bump into anyone I know by accident but close enough that I can get there and home again in reasonable time, this all adds up to a recipe of circumstances that I'm not going to better in the foreseeable. And there are other reasons too why there'll never be any time better than now. All the same, while there's no law against it, there are certain mechanisms in law that could make things very difficult for me, and it would be naive not to take that into account. After all, trouble is the last thing I want, and going through with it is by no means certain. And now that most of that is more or less straight in my mind, I can get on with the serious business of deciding what to wear!
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_