Sunday, December 17, 2006

Seasonal Adjustments

At the moment I'm watching tonight's edition of The South Bank Show, which is about Grayson Perry. I've mentioned Perry before, and how his dress sense in particular is something I don't share, and how the specifics of his media exposure is something that makes me feel ever so slightly uneasy. Of course, Perry's only talking for himself, not for me, so I guess my uneasiness may be based on the perception of one member of a large group being taken as representative of every member of that group. The more seasonal counterpart is my enjoyment of the cover provided by the fact there are a hell of a lot more men buying women's clothes and make up etc at this time of year than at most parts of the year. I'd claim I'm used to shopping, and by now I really should be, but I won't deny enjoying the safety in numbers effect of that particular perception! This comes in the territory of buying myself presents, compensating for what is taken for granted at this time of year, perhaps. In less frivolous news, it would seem I'm going to be facing a choice about making a late dash to a hospital bedside in the next few days. This I am not expecting to be an easy choice - my natural inclination is to expect that I won't, but I can't rule out the possibility I might. The prospect of a three or four hour drive which may turn out to be too late anyway would be the worst of both worlds - the literal dead-line chasing would be hard enough, but having decided to go through with it to then get there too late would be significantly worse. As ever, I reserve the right to change my mind. Only time will tell.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_