Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Second Time Around

Now, here's a funny thing. Nineteen years ago, almost to the day, a very young me went to see a band I remain very fond of to this day, and due to the circumstances of the time, I had the cash to buy either the t-shirt or the ep that was on sale, but not both. I bought the t-shirt, partly because I thought that the record was something I was more likely to encounter further down the line, and not least because I knew it was being stocked by a particular small shop in London. Several weeks later I happened to be making a trip to London, and managed to stop by the shop in question, but perhaps predictably for such a small production run item, it had already sold out. There followed many years of keeping an eye out for the ep, and I finally tracked down a copy on ebay a couple of years ago. On its own, that's some stroke of luck - I'm sure there can not be all that many intact copies left, nearly twenty years later. By the miracles of the internet, a couple of years ago I got to know someone who I was surprised enough to find knew of the band in question, and in fact had been at a couple of the same shows at which I had seen them. Which is how I come to have been offered not just another copy of the ep, but one which was bought, and autographed by the band (one of whom is long dead), at the very show when I would have got my own copy had I been richer by a fiver or something. That sort of freaky combination of coincidences makes it feel like some sort of stroke of rock destiny completing a circuit. Or just me being incredibly fortunate. Either way, I love the internet!
Comments:
Me too. Imagine life without it - simply unbearable.

Who were the band? I probably won't even know of them but I'm curious now.
 
Curiosity is always a good thing, so far as I can see.

But if you or anyone else reading this has even heard of this band then I'll eat the same diet as your bichons for the rest of the week!
 
S'okay. you can relax. You won the bet. Although I do import lovely Swedish dog food for the bichons which is human grade meat, without any additives or steroids. So you might even have enjoyed it!
 
Can't remember those guys particularly, but they look like NWOBHM at its finest. I probably had a flexi disk of those guys from the cover of kerrang. lol.
 
They were a bit after the NWOBHM had already crashed ashore and ebbed away again, but even if you didn't have a flexi-disc - they're not on one as far as I recall, and my recollection is pretty good - you certainly would have read about them in Kerrang!

That picture is from a single released in 1989.
 
1989 was in the peak of my Kerrang reading years.. *sigh*

Oh to be so young and poodle haired again.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
_