Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Fluff Freeman, Rock In Peace \m/

It would be remiss of me not to mention the passing of Alan 'Fluff' Freeman - my childhood musical memories are predominantly of Sir Jim'll Savile doing Jimmy Savile's Old Record Club on the radio, which was the replacement show for Fluff's Pick Of The Pops, so I mostly remember Fluff for the Rock Show on Radio 1 in the early 1990s. That was a particularly interesting period in my life, and not really the good kind of interesting, so it's with great fondness I'm reminded that in one of the many boxes upstairs there is a tape of one of those editions of The Rock Show, in which he read out a letter I'd sent in asking for one of a couple of different songs I requested, one of which he went on to play. The few words he said in additional comment in response to the letter were exactly the sort of thing that all the obituaries describe in terms of a humanity and warmth - he didn't know that I was listening, but for those brief few moments he couldn't have been more genuinely talking to me if he'd been in the room. And for that I say thanks mate, not 'arf.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_