Saturday, June 10, 2006

Midlife Crisis Sidestepped

Regular but infrequent events like the World Cup finals can inspire a little bit of mental stock-taking, and the other day I was reminded of the circumstances in which I watched the last lot four years ago. Plenty has happened over the subsequent period, and from this distance it's probably fair to say that that year is about the point where I really started to feel like an adult, and largely down to that set of circumstances reaching a final conclusion. Not necessarily a pleasant one, but certainly a satisfying conclusion as it finally put an end to a few things that I'd lived with, often with some difficulty, for a remarkably long time. One of the things I learned was to appreciate things while they are there, for the good stuff it's a reminder to enjoy it while I can, and for the less good stuff it's a healthy prompt to hold on to the fact that nothing is forever and that this too shall pass. In passing interests then, today I unexpectedly hit a point that I imagine many people must skirt or broach at some point; this morning I found myself lovingly handling a staggeringly expensive pair of trousers. Fabulously soft to the touch, and reduced to a ridiculously low percentage of the original price as marked on the proper label. My bargain-radar was going off the scale, and fond as I am of jokes at my own expense, I still managed to turn away from what would represent fantastic giggle-per-expense value. All the same, I'm happy to say that fancy designer label or not, even in a rather splendid pale tan colour, there is never a good time for leather trousers. Having found them quite by chance in a shop a few miles up the road, that's where I will leave them.
Comments:
You could always move to our area. Men are still wearing shell suits here!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
_