Monday, March 20, 2006

They Work For Us

It's perhaps a shocking admission that in the last couple of weeks I have contacted my MP, though the shocking part is that this is the first time I have done such a thing. Sure, I believe in the democratic process as probably the best of a bad bunch of mechanisms of government, I remind myself that a lot of people have fought on different fronts to ensure that I and an awful lot of other people have the right to vote, and I reckon I have something of a duty to those people to make sure I make my little mark on the piece of paper every time the opportunity arises.
 
But actually engaging in subject-specific dialogue with my elected representative, nope, sadly I can't say that I have. I wasn't entirely impressed and satisfied by the response I got, neither by the content nor the style in which it was delivered. But at least now I can better look myself in the eye and know I have some sort of answer to the question of whether I did anything about the world I live in beyond moaning about it in cyberspace.
 
Group affiliations, doctrine and dogma have never had much appeal for me, and I've always preferred to argue the individual point. It looks like there's going to be plenty more of the latter to come.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_