Friday, March 10, 2006

Just For One Day

I'm led to believe that 'But you saw them last night, why do you need to go again tonight?' is a familiar domestic refrain in some parts, and today I have something of an answer.

Every show is slightly different and has something to make it stand out from all the others - sunday as the first night I made on this tour and a return to a city I haven't visited in a very long time, on which note more in the next week or so. Wednesday was a cracking show, in another city I've not been to in ages, and extra memorable for the unusually ambitious drive home.

Tuesday will stand out as the one where I found myself in that little bit of extra unfamiliar territory; sure, I've been on guestlists, and in soundchecks, I've been backstage and in dressing rooms, and I reckon I've got a pretty good idea how the whole thing fits together outside of the hours on the stage itself.

And if you take the four main players in the three bands on this tour, I've seen getting on for 120 performances of ten different incarnations of bands involving these people, so I know them a bit, they know me a bit but that's just a function of the amount of time we've spent in the same places, it doesn't make me any kind of special.

On tuesday night I was backstage before the doors opened, and I was pleased to find I've not lost the childish enthusiasm that stops the whole thing becoming no more than habit, and for a brief moment I touched a guitar which was later used for one song only that night, one of my favourites.

Still my guitar hero indeed!

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_