Friday, February 17, 2006

The Numbers Game

I've rather given up on marking anniversaries, not least because once you've been around the calendar there's little value in an exercise of 'guess what, it's the same anniversary as last year!' posting. That said, there's the odd thing that crops up that does seem worth noting, and at some point in either the last couple of days or the next couple, one such occurs.

Post graduation there were a number of years I spent alternating between a variety of temporary agency jobs - chambermaid, gardener, hospital porter, tent assembler, kitchen staff, paint sprayer, surveyor's assistant, I've done it all - and being unemployed. Ironically it took moving away to a slightly less economically blessed region where support for (and availability of) learning skills of some practical benefit actually existed to set me on the way to where I am today.

Someone else takes some credit for helping support me while I did the only job-relevant training course I have a certificate for, though the information I learned then has long since become obsolete. There was a long time where my present situation of being several years into a job I mostly enjoy and where I have almost everything my way, never mind the possibility of buying a house of my own and all that sort of stuff looked no more plausible a prospect than an elephant flying to the moon with me on its back.

I don't live in the past, but I do like to remember where I've come from sometimes, and how lucky I am. And it's with that in mind I'm pleased to realise that some time right now is the tenth anniversary of the last time I signed on.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_