Sunday, January 08, 2006

Change Of Plan

I did have it in mind to post about something else entirely, but after following a bunch of people frothing at the keyboard about various aspects of the story, I feel compelled to say my piece. A couple of weeks ago I was talking about being hit by a car when on my bike, and I'll own up to road safety issues relating to cycling and driving being a particular soapbox story of mine. This morning, this happened. Someone in a car killed four people on bikes. And by way of summary; According to police, its back wheels slipped out as a group of 12 from Rhyl Cycling Club was coming in the other direction. The car crashed through them, into the stone wall at the side of the road, before careering back on to the left-hand carriageway. It knocked at least two cyclists clear over the wall. As police closed the road and began their investigation two blankets covered their bodies many metres inside the field on the other side. That's not a casual freak accident, no matter how you look at it. People appear hugely divided in reactions varying from quiet contemplation to robust condemnations of the leading statements offered by the police which appear to suggest that this driver was 'doing nothing wrong', and the inaccurate reporting that 'cyclists were in collision with a car'. Whatever gets you through the night, it's still a notionally free world. I do my best to ride safely and my record's pretty good, but all I can say is no amount of crying is going to bring me back, and in the statistically realistic event something like that does come my way, anybody using me to make political capital to campaign for any change that makes the roads safer would have my explicit blessing to do so.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_