Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Attention Deficit

I'm trying to deal with the different aspects of the Burns saga while it's headline news in separate chunks - it's nothing new to be told that I'm not being entirely clear even when I'm trying to be, so I hope that breaking it down may help.

Burns says all the work he's had done is nothing to do with attention, and I can't help feeling there's a little too much protesting going on there. Being in the public eye for something as ephemeral as a couple of pop-disco hits is bound to affect your perspective somehow, and I can't speak for what difference that makes, but I can be pretty sure that you don't get invited to take part in Celebrity Big Brother and accept exclusively for the altruistic ends of helping a charity raise a few quid.

For my part, there's a very old story about how even at nursery school it was noted that I didn't play with other kids, and to a degree that certain enquiries were made about this - my natural inclination is not a social one, it's fair to say. It follows that the spotlight of attention makes me uncomfortable in general, and I'm happy sat in the background until there's something I can contribute. You may recognise something of this in my forum posting style.

Now, if I said that on occasion the make up and the clothes that aren't intended for me all act as a partial buffer between me and attention by making me feel I look more like someone else who can better handle attention, in the same way an actor playing a role knows it's the character the audience are responding to and not the person behind it, I wonder if that makes sense.

Even if it does, I doubt it's the whole story :-)


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_