Monday, December 19, 2005

Eventful Times - Part Two, Winter Wonderland

Had an enjoyable couple of days in London, and saw one of my favourite bands do a very good show that for me marks the point where the current line-up has clearly crossed the boundary between a bunch of people on the same stage to looking like a cohesive unit that works together as one. You may not have heard of Amsterdam, but if you like literate pop music with a bit of a swagger, vibrancy and energy then I’ll be happy to point you in the right direction. In a more seasonal mood I found myself taking the ice at Alexandra Palace; there was a time in my life when I was skating at least once a week, and I know that several new years arrived while I was on ice. I haven’t skated regularly for many years, but it was mildly reassuring to find that even on ropey hire skates I hadn’t completely lost the knack. Had more than my share of near tumbles, but I learnt to keep my balance on skates a whopping twenty-something years ago and though I may indeed have wobbled, I didn’t go down. Had a lovely time, though it's very unfortunate to say the least that someone turns out to have got a broken bone out of the experience, and the various delights of visiting that grand building and the great skyline views from the top of that hill were a bonus I hadn’t been counting on. As befits the party season, I manufactured the opportunity to demonstrate my improved shopping skills with a suitably party type outfit and got a bit of assistance and sensible advice regarding my adventures in artificial hair. And for what’s changed on that whole front in terms of a move from a thoroughly hidden subject to something that’s now a lot more like just one of many things I talk about with some of my friends, I’m pleased to say there’s been a lot of progress. And I appreciate the parts others have played in that. So that and a number of emptied glasses pretty much accounts for my trip to London itself, though I should have known better than to think that meant the excitement was over...

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_