Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Six Down, One Left

This was always the making up the numbers night, and there's something hugely liberating about not being disappointed while leaving before the end. Untypically, I missed the first support band by not even being there. The Fallout Trust - one of the problems I have is I've seen so many bands that there's very little that's new to me, so it's a good guide to a band having a certain something if I can not immediately place them in relation to a couple of other acts, and this was a reasonable example of that. The singer has got a hint of a young Holly Johnson or Jarvis Cocker, but in places sings like Fat Bob from the Cure. The band are nice and tight, everyone knows their job and does it, including the singer who makes a point of mentioning the name of the band often enough, thanks everyone for coming and so on. And in an unheralded burst of professionalism, they were taking down their kit and removing it from the stage less than five minutes after the posted set timings had their set ending. I don't know they'll become huge stars, but they definitely have something. Including the only person I've seen this week asking for his mike to be turned down a little rather than up. Leaves - Either I was mis-sold on the description, or my ears are still ringing from the rest of the week. Too much thunderbass-driven wall of sound noise for it to be that possible to hear what they are on about. They had half an hour of my life, and that's enough. It may be down to my state of mind being unexpectedly altered for the better by a conversation I was having earlier, or the sleep deprivation, or the general lack of expectation, but whatever the cause The Fallout Trust made the most surprisingly interesting impression on me so far this week. And now I'm home, full of pizza and with a glass of wine and it's not that long after 11 - nice one!

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_