Friday, October 28, 2005

Looking Without Seeing

Bad driving is a frequent experience for me - there's rarely a week goes by when I'm not on the wrong end of an impatient, inconsiderate manoeuvre, or a poor piece of decision making, but outright life-endangering behaviour is something I'm happy to say I don't get too much of.

I'm generally laidback to the the point of being barely responsive, so when I say that last night's near-hit shocked me to the point of doing a U-turn in the road and chasing after the driver in question, you can draw your own conclusions as to just how close it was.

And for once I didn't get the registration number, as I was too busy staying in control of the bike. But for a fraction of a second, this post would have turned up after a lengthy trip to the hospital for a likely broken femur and/or hip, assuming I hadn't also been thrown under one of the approaching cars.

I'm not sure the guy even realised how close he came to taking me out as I don't know whether he raced off down the road because he realised I wanted a serious word with him or because he's a habitual lawbreaker and non-respecter of human life. Meanwhile, running through it again was making my heart race as I lay in bed failing to get to sleep.

It's been suggested many times that I think too much, but I'd say it's the processing equivalent of keeping your friends close and enemies closer, or the polar opposite of denial. And once this has been thoroughly worked through, in case there's anything I can learn for the next time, I move on.

Looking at the junction again this morning, I'm happy to see I wouldn't have been wrapped around a lamp post, and I wouldn't have cleared the opposite pavement at a sufficient height to get impaled on top of the railings.
 
And even if this morning's commute was ever so slightly tenser than normal, I refuse to be scared off the roads by morons.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_