Monday, September 19, 2005

Of privacy and anonymity

It's been quite a day, and there's a few people out there who have every right to feel rather aggrieved, to say the least, about stuff that's been said under the relative privacy of an anonymous talkboard username which has 'found' its way to national print media, with pretty devastating consequences in certain areas. I sleep soundly knowing I've done a pretty good job of protecting myself, and having been told I can be impenetrable even when I'm trying to spell something out, I do feel safe enough. I'm ashamed of nothing about who I am, and I'm big enough to take whatever comes my way, but I'd still have been pretty shocked to find anything of mine in the paper without warning. So I can hardly imagine how rough that was for one poor sod in particular, and how much trouble that's caused. He's most unlikely to see this, but I wish him well in his damage limitation efforts. Regardless of applicable terms and conditions, I can see how a breach of trust like that can take a lot to come back from, and it'll be interesting to see what effects it has in the longer term. For once I'm pleased to recognise that talking a lot about myself exposes nobody but myself - and for how much my life has been enriched by all the lovely internet people I've come into contact with, I still consider the definite benefits dwarf the potential risks. And you can quote me on that. Though I'll be thinking just a little harder about exactly what I say for a while.
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_