Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Who Knows?

You read my blog, therefore I consider you my friend. And thereby you get closer to knowing, because you get to read exactly what I'm saying, and often further explanations as to exactly what I mean(t), and why that matters. There's some stuff that really matters, some that sort of matters and some that doesn't. There's various things, beside the obvious, that is up for discussion in certain circles, and doesn't even exist in others. My colleagues know I had a couple of days off recently, but they don't know that I spent them in Ireland, or indeed what I was doing there. Why? They don't need to know. I was on tour because I like going on tour, it's one of the things that I do, but I do it for me, not so I can discuss it with everyone. There's a bunch of people who I spend a lot of time around, almost none of whom have ever seen me cook meat (despite lots of seeing me cook), but almost all of whom have been out in restaurants where I've eaten meat, or seen me scavenge meaty leftovers off someone else's plate for that matter. Being thought to be vegetarian or not is of no importance - I'm used to it, and when it comes up I correct them with a weary resignation. I don't remotely care if someone thinks I'm vegetarian, and I don't expect anyone to care about whether I am or not. I only care that someone is telling factually incorrect information about me. And I'm especially bored with that particular one! On the other hand, none of those people have ever knowingly seen me drink alcohol, and it's a damn sight easier to go along with the assumed no alcohol ever line on the exceptionally rare occasion the subject arises. Because I just can't be arsed to explain that I do in fact have the odd glass, and infrequent bottle of wine at home, but I'm not in the habit of drinking outside my home (*with certain sparkly special occasion exceptions) because I'm usually driving, and no, that means I don't have a medical condition that prevents me from drinking, and yes, I never started drinking when my friends did for a variety of reasons, all of which are still my own business, and no, thanks for asking I really don't want a beer right now, and that's right, it's certainly not a religious thing, and so on and on and on. I don't feel sidelined, marginalised or left out. I do feel left to get on with whatever else I'm doing without feeling forced to justify it, and that's the way I like it.
Comments:
I think I'm going to have to stop reading this blog.
 
Thanks for your contributions.
 
I shall ignore the comment that looks like extreme sarcasm from here, and just say thank you for carrying out the favour I asked you yesterday. I will explain at some point, but probably not here.
 
You've left quite a few comments and asked some good questions, without which less ground would undoubtedly have been covered, and this blog would have been a lesser thing for it.

And it's appreciated.

There is no sarcasm there.
 
People are odd, and what they believe about other people tends to be even odder.

I am vegetarian, and pretty much everyone I know hasn't had any problems retaining what is really a very simple fact, although some of them have felt the need to go through long and involved questioning of the whys and wherefores. Often repeatedly.

However, having established that I'm vegetarian, enormous numbers of people develop an instant and unshakable belief that I therefore don't drink, despite ample evidence to the contrary.

I think a lot of it all goes back to the little boxes that so many people try to keep things in, so if their 'vegetarian' mental box is also labelled 'no alcohol', then it doens't matter that the box doesn't fit you on one count (or even on both), that's where they're going to try and keep you. Because otherwise they'd have to make a new box.
 
Thanks bint - that's a good point about the boxes.

I rather think my take on it is that if someone can't get to grips with the simple, binary, yes/no boxes, then neither of us are likely to get much out of exploring the more tricky boxes where the information is more variable.

And one box is just one box. It doesn't have to be one box that can only exist as part of a set of boxes within strict limitations - you're absolutely right.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
_