Thursday, August 25, 2005

Show And Tell? Don't Ask!

I mentioned before that I was facing the prospect of non-aware houseguests. The first has been and gone, and in the mix of late nights home from gigs and not being hugely busy beyond drinking tea, it never came up. But it occurred to me at some point on my travels that it would be just as likely or probably more so that we might be having the 'why do you have eight bottles of wine in your kitchen when you don't ever drink alcohol ever?' conversation as the 'whose make up is all this then?' one.

And I should note that having previously been instructed that I should try Guinness in Dublin, this time I did so. So that's another thing I don't need to do again.

Recent weeks have see the office 'Summer Party' (read 'fancy minimalist meal and truckloads of booze') take place. I wasn't there for a number of reasons, but looking at the photos circulating around the office, I'm torn between wishing I'd had the opportunity to put on a nice frock and go out for the evening again, and feeling that in terms of coming out to colleagues, it ain't ever gonna happen in this job. And I like this job and I have no plans to go anywhere.

More than anything, it makes me feel that whatever emotional fallout came with it, I'm really glad I did take the S***y opportunity when it came up. And I can say that whatever difficulties that involved, it was infinitely easier than doing it in trousers which simply wouldn't have been possible.

As for my houseguest arriving today, well we've only seen each other once in about the last ten years, so I rather think we'll have plenty to talk about already.


Comments:
Hmmm - a couple of questions, well points.

Why would the S***y have not been possible in trousers? And why is the summer party an opportunity to attend in a dress rather than simply attend and maybe get to know your colleagues better before seeing an opportunity to come out to them?

And I shall have something to say about your whole houseguest issue you've mentioned here and elsewhere at some point, but not right now.
 
And, why can't you just say Savoy? Savoy! SAVOY! Say it loud and proud: "I've been to a 5* hotel, and I ENJOYED it"

And, fully 50% of the women there were in trousers, so ner
 
All your points and questions are perfectly valid - I'm going to try and answer them one by one.

Firstly, it's my fault for using imprecise language and not saying exactly what I mean. For 'trousers' read 'the half of my wardrobe that has no skirts, dresses or handbags'. Does that help any? Even if it's now a different kind of puzzling?

It's not the summer party itself so much as the thought that maybe I could go out more, and that that might not be out of the question. I'm feeling more ready for that now.

I used the asterisks because I'm aware that I have been banging on and on about the same subject.

There's a very nice pair of bootcut trousers in a sort of burgundy colour in my wardrobe, just waiting for the days to get a little shorter and darker, though this answer may not now be strictly relevant.

The two halves of my wardrobe have next to no overlap in terms of style - the obvious half is almost exclusively practical, and the dressy half starts around smart-casual (whatever that is) and gets dressier. It doesn't need to be all that practical, but it is definitely becoming more so.

But as I've said elsewhere, this is part of a big sequence of rapid change, and where I am this month is almost certain not to be where I am next month.

I hope that's a start to answering, but I'm bound to come back to it again in any case.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
_