Wednesday, August 10, 2005

At Home I'm A Tourist

What a great day! Only my second visit in over three months to my 'home' town, and possibly the first time I've had time to spare there on a sunny august day in a number of years. And so for once I saw it a bit more through a visitor's eyes, and even had time for an hour of my favourite seaside walking.

It's been suggested that the past is no place to live, and I'm happy to agree, but for once it was merely a warm feeling of recognition coming round familiar corners and being confronted by certain places. And it is a good sign that if it happens at all now, it's entirely by chance rather than by design.

I saw a heron on the way there, and had what I took to be a roe deer fawn emerge from a hedge in the middle of nowhere on my way home. Even late at night after a long day, I'm pleased to report my reflexes work, and I was in no danger of killing Bambi once Bambi had decided that racing across the road in front of me was not a good idea,

It took me less than a minute to remove the offending component from my bike wheel, and the football was good for its own sake, but while that's undoubtedly evidence for the Y chromosome prosecution, it's not all one way. I had to visit a friend of mine who is a motor mechanic with his own business to sort out the wheel problem. As is traditionally the case for such environments, the garage and workshop have a number of trade calendars featuring big glossy pictures of women wearing 'too much make up and nowhere near enough clothes' for my taste. I've nothing at all to say about people earning a living in any way that suits them, but if I end up in front of one of those pictures, my only thoughts are along the lines of 'that lip colour looks a little ill-advised, but I *do* like those shoes'.

In other news, I like the idea of having my myvirtualmodel on more obvious display, and from a certain suspended belief perspective I'm still happy with the likeness, but I'm not sure I want it attached to every comment I leave on any other blog, so I'm going to do something about that later.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_