Monday, July 04, 2005

We Will Still Need A Song

This evening I had the privilege of seeing one of my favourite songwriters for the first time in way too long. Before the show I was thinking about how long ago it was I last saw the guy, which was in the same venue though it's been through some changes in the meantime. And then I started thinking about the person who I was there with that night, before I realised that the same applied to the headline act. I just checked and it's eighteen years and one day since the very first time I saw the musical genius that is Willie Dowling, but that was several bands ago! Tonight he was doing some of the songs of his current band in acoustic duo versions as the support act for someone else I've also seen across several different bands over the years. It amuses me no end to think that some of the longer lasting relationships in my life are with musicians and songs, and while I'm fully aware that the standard domestic family set up would put a huge dent in my freedom to put in quite the mileage I do in pursuit of live music, if it doesn't happen then at least I know I'll have done something else with the time. For the record, it was an excellent night's entertainment.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_