Friday, July 08, 2005

It's Not Where You're From, It's Where You're At

I tend to stay out of web-based politicking. Ask me a question on an individual issue or point of detail, and I'll almost always have an answer or be able to clarify my position without thinking too hard, but really I'd rather stick with things that genuinely interest me.

All the same it has been known for me to e-fight with people in other fora on issues of rabid nationhood when someone manages to needle a specific tiny sore spot, and yesterday has brought me back to an ever so slightly modified position on this.

I've always considered myself, in decreasing order of importance, to be

* european * Bournemouthian * British

* then, having lived here for more than a decade, I have a strong attachment to Wales and last and most definitely least, I remain * technically by birth English

It's days like these, even at this sort of range from the action, that blur the differences a bit more, and emphasise what we all have in common. Patriotism in any form has always repelled me - there's just too much damage has been done to too many people in too many places in its name - but I don't believe I've ever felt as much at home or connected to the other sixty million people, living on an island in the sea.

And I'm certain that wouldn't have happened without the interactive community connectivity that comes with the internet.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
_