Thursday, June 16, 2005

Postcard From Elsewhere

If you're reading this then I've just pulled off a good example of how I earn my living. From my brief sojourn in the land of sparkly exile, it occurred to me that somewhere I'd seen an option which allows you to make blog postings via email, and since I'm currently on a multiple postings every twenty four hours kick, it seemed both an interesting idea and one that would be rather handy. Especially since one of the reasons why I'm never near a blog from the office PC is that little visit counter that tells the blog-owner exactly where the visitor came from, and the work/sparkliness divide is the one I'm still not keen to bridge in a trackable way.

So now I can post as things come to me instead of over-working them - it's a better stream of consciousness form of honesty than a six times re-read and heavily edited variant. I tried it out this morning before I left to check I understood how it worked, so it should be fine. But if you are reading this, could you leave me a quick comment to say so, please? That way I'll know that it did work a little sooner. Ta.

Last night instead of staying up too late as usual, I went to bed with Martin Eden. That is to say, I love Jack London's 1909 novel 'Martin Eden', and along with the Sillitoe short story which is bound to come up sooner or later, it's the closest thing I've ever found to a novel that for me feels personally autobiographical, as I relate to it strongly. And I have to share with you this passage from as early as the second page.

He was surrounded by the unknown, apprehensive of what might happen, ignorant of what he should do, aware that he walked and bore himself awkwardly, fearful that every attribute and power of him was similarly afflicted. He was keenly sensitive, hopelessly self-conscious, and the amused glance that the other stole privily at him over the top of the letter burned into him like a dagger-thrust. He saw the glance, but he gave no sign, for among the things he had learned was discipline. Also, that dagger-thrust went to his pride. He cursed himself for having come, and at the same time resolved that, happen what would, having come, he would carry it through.

Yes it's over-dramatic, but throttled back just a little it is curiously applicable to saturday, which makes me laugh no end. But you know the really funny thing, if I hadn't been in a dress, I'd have felt like that more and not less.

And the point? That even here, I'm reminded that I'm not that special, at least in the sense that I do share common feelings with others, and that I'd do well to remember that I don't operate in a parallel world but the same one as everyone else.


Comments:
hello I'm reading this post
 
Yay, it worked. Just had to clean up the formatting ever so slightly, that's all.
 
I must say that you hid your anxiety very well. You looked calm as anything
 
Thank you - I had a lot of help, to be fair.

I did feel calm, but I'd have struggled without deliberately not thinking too hard about where I was or what I was doing.

And it took me some time to relax enough to stop concentrating on not thinking and get on with enjoying the occasion.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
_