Wednesday, May 18, 2005

On Which Note...

Further to the entry below, it's been mentioned that I have a habit of half-saying things, or making leading statements and not following up on them. Almost all of my blog entries have titles which are either lyrics or musical allusions, and lots of what I write (here and elsewhere) is littered with references of different levels of obscureness. I guess it's an intellectual game I like to play, for my own amusement entirely, but which should work at face value (that's not a deliberate Phil bloody Collins reference) too. I consider that if people really want to know, well, they have tongues in their heads. But now it's come up, I also realise that it shouldn't surprise me if people that haven't met me or don't feel they know me are less inclined to speak up. As far as I'm concerned there is no mark to overstep, especially where I've started the conversational ball rolling. If there's something to say, in the words of VotB, you just say it! This is a rather curious situation for me, now I start to think about it. I'm naturally a very private person, and I'm very experienced in giving the response to a question that will close down a conversation rather than the one that's actually true. It's part force of habit, part instinctive self-defensive measure to keep folk at a certain distance. Which is why on that one particular issue, my increasing levels of self-disclosure are doubly remarkable. What it boils down to is that my sparkly ladies (and other readers) give me a platform where an important part of who I am is given a far looser rein than I feel comfortable allowing it anywhere else. The people who I feel should know, know. But for what it's worth, my colleagues, even the ones I get on with, rarely know that I'm taking the afternoon off to drive halfway up the country to go and see some band they've never heard of either. Nor do they know how many bikes I have, nor what I did on my holidays - I do stuff because I want to do it, not because I want to talk about it. But being able to talk about make up or skirts or shoes or handbags on a roughly level playing field with those people with whom I'm talking about it is worth more to me than I can probably expect you to appreciate. After longer than I care to say where I've made every effort not to betray myself - and I don't like the feeling that who I am is some guilty secret when that's definitely not how I see it - I can't just lay it all out for all to see. I don't work like that, even if I am getting better at it within certain limits. If you find my levels of openness fluctuating, all this ought to give you some clues why that may be. Thanks for reading!
Comments:
I'm very experienced in giving the response to a question that will close down a conversation rather than the one that's actually true.

You have no idea how irritating that can be.
 
Yeah, I know.

< / Andy >
 
But for what it's worth, I've highlighted that particular aspect precisely because I'm aware it doesn't necessarily make all of this straightforward in primary coloured block capitals.

Which is why telling me that I have no idea about something where it's explicitly stated that that is not the case is a bit less constructive than actually asking the question you want answered :^)

If that sort of spell-everything-out-to-anybody-with-ears behaviour came easily to me, I wouldn't be me, and I probably wouldn't have the needs that underlie the primary topic of this blog either.

And in case there's still any doubt, I'll happily admit to pursuing such lines of closing down conversations purely for sport in selected company. But that's reserved for people who insist on asking questions uninvited, and about things which are truly none of their business.

In the blog world at least, I'm making it the communal business of anyone who wants to know, and while I may prefer to answer by email rather than spell stuff out here, if you've got a more specific question then I'm happy to hear it.

The least you can expect is an explanation of why I might not answer fully, but if the subject is one I've brought up in the first place, then I'm likely to be happy to expand on the point if I know what someone wants to know.
 
And in case there's still any doubt, I'll happily admit to pursuing such lines of closing down conversations purely for sport in selected company. But that's reserved for people who insist on asking questions uninvited, and about things which are truly none of their business.

Such statements are a really good way of making sure nobody asks any questions again, of course. I don't think anybody wants to be intrusive, I really don't. Also, unless anyone has been asking questions completely out of the blue rather than following on from comments you've made then it may be a little harsh to say the questions are completely uninvited.
 
When I say people asking questions uninvited, I'm specifically talking about face to face conversation with people who I don't necessarily consider friends, I'm talking casual acquaintances, I'm talking colleagues, I'm talking people I don't consider know the real me very well, and by definition that specifically excludes anybody who is reading this, even the casual passing next blog visitor.

I'm genuinely sorry if that's not coming across clearly.

I repeat, in the blog world at least, I'm making it the communal business of anyone who wants to know. That automatically extends to anyone who's read anything here who I subsequently run into in person.

As I have said, I'm well aware that the protective mechanisms I have learned to use in the face to face world are not that helpful here, and I'm pointing them out precisely because I don't want them to get in the way in an environment where I'm deliberately trying to strip away those protective elements and speak as honestly and fully as I can.

I don't believe I've cut off anyone who's asked me anything here without reply, though I may possibly have done so elsewhere in cyberspace without meaning to. It's an automatic reflex that I can't turn off overnight, but which I'm trying to suspend when I concentrate on personally important stuff. Like this blog, for example.

And if you think I'm not pulling it off, you're perfectly entitled to say so.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
_