Friday, April 22, 2005

A Plea For Consistency

I'm going to see Loudon Wainwright next week, and today I've been listening to a few things I haven't heard for a while. And I'm reminded that if there's one thing that really speaks for me, it's One Man Guy. And dirty, selfish trick or no, I like to know where I stand, and that always starts with me. But I would also say that barring that last few percent by which things can always improve, I'm really very happy with the levels of people, and friendship and intimate confidence-sharing, and soul-baring and all that stuff in my life right now, and the fact you've made it here means you're part of that to some varying degree, so thanks very much. I hope I can return the favour. I've always found it in song, but finding it in real people is so much better, and I'd be a fool not to recognise and appreciate it when I do. People will know when they see this show the kind of a guy I am They'll understand just what I stand for, and what I just can't stand They'll perceive what I believe in and what I know is true And they'll recognise I'm a one man guy, always was, through and through Cause I'm a one man guy in the morning I'm the same in the afternoon One man guy when the sun goes down, I whistle me a one man tune One man guy, one man guy, only kind of guy to be I'm a one man guy, a one man guy, and that one ma-ee-a-ee-on is me I'm a one man guy People meditate, hey, thats just great trying to find an inner you And people depend on family and friends, And other folks to pull them through I don't know why I'm a one man guy or why this is a one man show But these three cubic feet of bone and blood and meat are what I love and know. Cause I'm a one man guy in the morning I'm the same in the afternoon One man guy when the sun goes down, I whistle me a one man tune One man guy, one man guy, only kind of guy to be I'm a one man guy, a one man guy, and that one ma-ee-a-ee-on is me I'm a one man guy I'm gonna bathe and shave and dress myself and eat solo every night Unplug the phone, sleep alone, stay way out of sight Sure it's kind of crazy, yeah it's sort of sick Being your own and only is a selfish dirty trick Cause I'm a one man guy in the morning I'm the same in the afternoon One man guy when the sun goes down, I whistle me a one man tune One man guy, one man guy, only kind of guy to be I'm a one man guy, a one man guy, and that one ma-ee-a-ee-on is me I'm a one man guy

Labels: ,


Comments:
I always figure that you have to start out loving yourself because no one else can do anything for you that you aren't prepared to do for yourself. I always put myself first if I feel like it and I'm not actively hurting others who care for me.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
_