Wednesday, February 02, 2005

When you look in the mirror, do you see yourself?

When you see yourself, does it make you scream? Identity, it's a funny old game. I look at the links to other sites, and people I come across in many different areas of cyberspace, and lots of people are known by variants on their first names, and different first names, which in some cases I know are not their actual first names as found on birth certificates and so forth. Some people go for descriptive names, some for names which resonate in their lives and some for punning variants on common clichés. What does it mean to you, your online identity? I'm just curious. Title and first question courtesy of X Ray Spex' 'Identity'
Comments:
My online identity is my well-hidden cheery side. I'm a boring old frumpy-grump in real life.
 
Sophster is an obvious corruption of my normal first name (although I was mistaken for a man a few times - online, not in real life). I quite like calling myself Sophie Socks as it was my nickname when I was at playschool. I think it's quite nice to have something relating to way back then when things were were simple and the biggest concerns where coming home wearing another girls shoes and removing toys that had been stuffed up nostrils.
 
I should answer the question for myself too.

For me the difference it makes is that I can be judged purely on content, at first glance in any case. My natural instincts make me far more likely to answer a factual query with the appropriate information, as opposed to general chewing the fat.

If I've nothing to say, I mostly say nothing, at least until I reach the stage of feeling comfortable with the people I'm talking with. And I resent being judged for my not-saying, or my general demeanour, or how I look, or any of those sort of things that mean people are listening not to *what* I'm saying, but how and who I am.

Sure I'm a difficult swine to get to know, but hell if I could just spell everything out, or lay it out on a plate, I'd be someone else entirely. But asking the right questions gets more than you ever expected.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
_