Monday, January 24, 2005

Vampire Sparkling

Jealous, moi? On the one hand, sort of, I guess. On the other, no, not really. But the more of my employer's time I spend talking to my sparkly ladies, the more I feel that nearly eighteen months on from last time, it's about time I saw some of them again, and some perhaps for the first time. Now there's obviously certain practical problems associated with this, and a great big squealing and cackling en masse menacing of waiting staff is not really my idea of a good time. Nor is public places in daylight (see Vampire) much of an appealing prospect in general, though I guess that in company I'm familiar with it could be, and gaining that level of in person comfortableness wouldn't take long - I'm a fairly get-on-with-it kinda gal once I've decided I'm happy with something. I'm certainly not so needy that I'm unable to tell what is asking too much of people who know of intensely personal and private information, but who only get to that information by being people who have no obvious and direct link to who I am in *real*, and who therefore don't know me. Which is something of a Catch 22 carat choker, really. Hmm, I should do some thinking.
Comments:
Further to which, it occurs to me that there's no reason why I couldn't host a sparkly gathering myself beyond the fact I don't have the biggest place, nor the hugest amount of furniture. But then speaking geographically I guess it would have its own natural limiting factor built in.

I wonder...
 
Sweetie, you could just have come to the pub afterwards, like other people did. The sparkly people would have accepted you in whichever guise you chose to show yourself in, just as we support you every single day on the thread itself.

We've never mocked you for anything, and anyone outside the group who tried would have had all of us to answer to. Several times I heard it mentioned that it was a terrible shame you didn't think you could attend, for whatever reason. As a bastion of the thread, you were missed.

As for this: squealing and cackling en masse menacing of waiting staff is not really my idea of a good time Nor mine, but - hurtful though I think it is to be labelled cackling harridans by someone who really does know us better than that, but understanding how it could have appeared that way to a *casual* observer - I feel I should point out that our waiter made roughly 25% of the total bill as a tip, which considering it was 17 people, two courses each, plus refreshments at central London prices, is hardly harrasment!
 
I didn't make it because I already had another offer that I didn't want to cancel. That's all.

That I "didn't think I could attend" is 100% stone cold wrong - and I'm sorry if anybody got that impression, though I can understand it happening given the speed that things sometimes move at.

I'm very sorry if anybody feels maligned by what fell out of my keyboard as an exaggerated take on what was described with a certain amount of boisterousness. That's certainly no reflection on how I'd wish to label anyone - and of all people, if anyone should know about the dangers of labelling people on single instances of behaviour, I should. And I do.

On which note, more later...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
_